I got this recipe from a magazine in 2014, called “One pot”. However, the original has BBQ chicken and lasagna sheets in it. The reason I changed it is two fold. Firstly, as mentioned before, we are trying to eat more vegetable dishes and secondly, as the lasagna plates were supposed to be torn down and mixed into the stew/bake, they stuck together. Therefore, I use alternatives.
You will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 200 – 250 gr pasta
- 2 tins Chickpeas
- BBQ sauce
- 100 gr Mozzarella
- 750 ml Tomato pasta sauce
- 500 ml Water
- 50 gr Spinach leaves
- 120 gr Ricotta cheese
- Select the grill setting on the oven and preheat to 180°C.
- Pour the chickpeas into a sieve and wash with cold water. Then pour into a bowl and squeeze BBQ sauce over it. (I did not measure how much sauce I bathed the peas in but I just made sure they were all covered in BBQ and I could say they were “BBQ chickpeas”, as I used them instead of BBQ chicken!). Put aside.
- Heat the oil on a big pan. Fry the onion and garlic on the pan until softened.
- Add the pasta, chickpeas and 50 gr of cheese onto the pan. Stir it together.
- Pour the pasta sauce and water over the mixture, stir and then cover with a lid. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Pour the mixture into an oven tray and mix in the spinach. Sprinkle the top with ricotta and the remaining mozzarella (I added loads of mozzarella as I love my cheese and did not think 50 gr was nearly enough! Therefore, I suggest you sprinkle cheese to your own liking).
- Grill for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is nicely baked/melted.